When your heating and cooling system is working properly, your home is comfortable and you’re probably not experiencing any significant increase in your monthly utility bills. So when a part malfunctions or your unit stops working, how do you decide if it’s time to repair or replace it? Your local Payne® dealer can provide a thorough diagnosis of your system and make a professional recommendation. To help you decide, we’ve put together a list of factors to consider.
Here are some reasons to repair the unit:
- The cost of repairs is less than one-third the cost of a replacement
- The unit is less than 10 years old
- The unit is still under warranty (see your warranty terms)
Replacing all or part of a heating and cooling system can be a big investment. When an older unit has continuous issues or shows signs of reduced energy efficiency, it could be more economical to upgrade your home comfort system. A dealer can help you diagnose your heating and cooling system, as well as help you choose a replacement that fits your needs and budget.
Here are some reasons for replacing your heating or cooling unit:
- The cost of repairs is near 50% of the cost of a replacement
- The unit requires frequent repairs.
- Humidity problems that signal operating issues
- Warranty expirations
- High dust and low air quality problems
- The furnace is more than 15 years old, and the heat pump or AC is more than 10 years old